Properly chosen ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software can help you to organize, automate and improve your business.Employees and clients, these are the two integral components of any business group. And the communication between them is managed via several business software like ERP and CRM solutions used in the workplace. As of it, the business tool you choose for your end-user must be robust, efficient, self-reliant, needless to say, it must be an ultimate ERP solution offering uninterrupted and productive management of the business.
Why to say no ?
Time Consumption and Larger Expenditure
All admit that ERP implementation is not a cakewalk. The whole process demands a huge investment of time and other resources, making it arduous. The implementation process demands the key role of both business client and service provider, to make the software adaptable and worthy.
Right from understanding the scope of the requirement to the degree of customizations must be critically analyzed and monitored. The whole process remains challenging and tricky as there is a large number of steps involved in the ERP implementation process. Meanwhile, if the demand for your customization is large, the time to make it happen will also keep stretching, thus delaying the Go-Live of software. The prolonged process can rise up your company costs increasing business expenses.
Upgrade become complex
Well, the majority of business organizations prefer custom made ERP solutions dreaming their better integration for seamless business management. However, customized ERP solutions start raising issues post-implementation. With large additions of change, the software remains reluctant to further upgrading. The ability to upgrade the ERP solutions turns difficult, eventually yielding costly and complicated business enhancements.
Upgrading the business software become progressively troublesome and challenging as each time to support newer software versions, the code needs to be rewritten or modified. The complexity to upgrade thus often paves the way to defer the version migration of the software in many situations. And
this is the major reason, that many business organizations go for replacing their existing ERP software. Because, they have already done with enormous customizations, that now their ERP software is in risk to take the new change. Ultimately the business gets deprived of the advantages of newer versions of the software. So the more you indulge in customizing the software, the more you remove yourself from the product evolutions—which means remoting yourself from the extraordinary features and advances the software offers.
So, well think before you overdo the customization of your ERP. Do you want to put yourself into the shoes of cumbersome undertakings and increase your company costs or go for minimal customizations, accomplishing your primary needs at the same time back you with all merits of newer versions of the software?
Elimination of Best Practices
Software development is an arduous task. It is not just an off-the-rack substitute for immediate use. It comes as the end product of months/ years of research and development. And while designing them, the software engineers make sure that it adheres to standard industry standards. It is made sure that the software is self-reliant in accomplishing all the industry needs as seen from a layman’s perspective.
Over-customization of ERPs will take you to different directions, far away from best and standard practices. This is the long run can costs your business, certainly much than anticipated.
Therefore, we insist for minimal ERP customization or a zero-customization in the standard ERP workflow. However, with changes in the business pattern, most organizations are bound to undergo customizations in their ERP systems – at least to some degree.
But no worries, with the help of a good ERP consultant, you can make the cumbersome task to a manageable one.
How customized ERP solutions help boosting your business
In addition to the ability to track Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in real time, ERP systems can integrate business units, monitor the workflow, identify duplicates and analyze data integrity.
Here are the main features of ERP software that can help companies to save money:
- Automating certain parts of an employee’s work
- Troubleshooting single-purpose software
- Ensuring the security of all company data gathered in one place
- Creating a single solution for analysis and reporting
- Simplifying inventory tracking and sales
- Improving the cooperation between employees in different company departments
To better match the needs of a particular company, ERP solution can work on two levels:
- ERP as a system or single solution made from scratch. This option is preferable in case you don’t use any ERP applications and plan to apply for the services of a software development company. Business analysts will conduct a series of interviews to define the issues of your business and develop a proper software solution to solve them.
- ERP as integrated modules for the existing system. This option allows improving the used business processes without spending resources on development and deployment of a new software solution. Instead of that, you can add new modules to the application that is already in use and carry out concomitant customization if needed. Among the possible options there are reports module, customers and orders management tools, workload management tools, time tracking system, project dashboards, and so on. Such solution can help to increase the efficiency of analysis, improve reporting, and allow making better business decisions without interrupting any business processes.
Choosing an ERP solution for small and medium business can be quite a challenging issue. Preferring an off-the-shelf solution over custom-made software, you risk spending money on the solution that doesn’t fully reflect the features of your business. Buying a ready-made ERP solution, you’ll probably face the lack of important features. To meet your expectations, custom software development companies spend the time to know your company better and provide software solutions for your business troubles. Objectively evaluate the potential of ERP developers, you’ll be confident that you can choose the best solution that will meet your foreseeable needs with the least risk.